9.02.2008

The Forgotten Man...

Started a new book on the history of the Great Depression.  Just read the introduction and I am excited to get into this book.  The title is called, "The Forgotten Man" which comes from a 1883 essay by William Graham Sumner.  Here is his quote:

As soon as A observes something which seems to him to be wrong, from which X is suffering, A talks it over with B, and A and B then propose to get a law passed to remedy the evil and help X.  Their law always proposes to determine what C shall do for X, or in the better case what A, B and C shall do for X...What I want to do is look up C.  I want to show you what manner of man he is.  I call him the Forgotten Man.  Perhaps the appellation is not strictly correct.  He is the man who is never thought of...
He works, he votes, generally he prays- but he always pays...

In case you need the definition of appellation:  the action of giving a name to a person or thing.  I am not too proud to say I looked it up.   !

1 comment:

@pril G said...

I like this. Can you expand?